No GPS showing Approximate Location — The error you always got when you open up your Waze up for navigation. Many users are complaining about this issue why they always get an error like this.
This also happens to me and it’s really frustrating to see an error like this when you are about to navigate and the waze app freezes location. So, today I decided to right some tips for you to try on how you can solve this problem.
No GPS showing Approximate Location Fix
Check for the Updates
- First thing first, you need to check if you got the latest version of waze. If not, fire up your playstore app and search for Waze. Updating the app sometimes solve the issue as the developer did some bug fix. If you see “Uninstalled” and “Open” button, then there is no update available. As of writing, the latest version of Waze App is 22.214.171.124 which was updated on Jun 1, 2016.
- Waze is not the only one you need to check for update, you also need to check if there is update available for your Android Phone. To check, go to Settings > About phone > Software Updates then click Check Now.
Make sure you have a solid internet connection
- Remember that Waze App uses Mobile Data or Wifi Connection(if you have pocket Wifi). I observe when I have a solid internet connection, the Waze locates me for about 3-5 secs. Trees and clouds can affect the internet connection as well as the GPS. So be sure to check this.
GPS Line of Sight
- This is related to Tip #2. GPS needs to be in line of sight with the sky. GPS accuracy is influenced by a number of factors like positions of the satellites in the sky, atmospheric effects, satellite clock errors and ephemeris errors etc.¹ Don’t be surprised if you see the error when the weather is not good or is covered in trees. Bonus Tip: When navigating, place your phone above the dashboard.
Let apps use Google’s location Service
- Turning the GPS ON and having a solid internet connection does not necessarily mean you get the accuracy of your location. There is one more setting you need to turn on(if you didn’t know about this). Go to Settings > Location Access then check “Wi-Fi & mobile network location”. By this, you are allowing applications such as Waze to use the Google’s location service to estimate your location faster. Note: These settings may vary depending on the model of your phone. Be sure to check related settings.
Check your Phones GPS
- Maybe your phones GPS system is malfunctioning and needs re-checking. You can try to search in playstore but the most common is the “GPS Status and Toolbox”.
These are the tips on how to fix No GPS showing Approximate Location error on waze app. We hope this article help you understand why the error is showing and how to fix them.