We are living in the era of Smartphones. Now a days almost everybody owns a smartphone. As we store our precious information such as – passwords, images, videos, contacts etc. in our beloved smartphone then certainly we want to keep our phone away from any kind of unwanted access. That’s why we use many types of security features to secure our phone. Among them the most secure & strong feature is the pattern lock.
But it is very normal to make mistake during the time of drawing the Pattern or you might be forgotten the pattern or someone would have tried wrong Patterns multiple times. Then unfortunately but obviously for security purpose your phone will be stuck at the lock screen.
When this happens you will surely be in an annoying situation. But don’t worry, if you are facing this problem & searching for the solution then you have come to the right place. Because, to disappear your worries we will uncover some methods of solving the problem here.
There are several processes to escape from this situation. Here we are going to show one by one.
Remark: There are several methods, we will talk about. Some are easy but others are tricky. Please, if you are professional enough to execute those methods, only then try them. But, if you are not, then take assistance from professionals. And please, read well before trying those methods.
Ways on how to fix Too Many Pattern Attempts
1. Unlock using Gmail Account
You can use this method if you have Wi-Fi /data connection or internet access enabled in your phone. And another important thing is you have to have your Gmail account linked to your phone, other than you can skip this step.
Here is what to do:
- After drawing the pattern lock several times (wrong pattern), your smartphone or tablet (android) will prompt an error message. This will be like – “Too Many Pattern Attempts! To unlock, sign in with your Google Account “. Or you can go there by tapping the “Forgot Pattern” option.
- Here you will be asked to enter your Gmail ID & Password. So, you should enter the required information on the blank boxes.
- Then tap on ‘SIGN IN’.
After few seconds, you will be redirected to Google Play (android) & there you will find some instructions. You should follow them. And automatically you will be out of this creepy problem.
Note: If you don’t have internet connection enabled in your mobile phone, you can also try this. Sometimes it works offline too. But, if that is not your case, then heed to the next methods. Again, if you have two or more Gmail account linked to your phone, it might not work as well.
But unfortunately, many of us usually don’t link our Gmail account or sometimes the data connection might be off in our phone. Or in spite of following all the given instructions above you can’t succeed then follow the next methods.
2. Unlock by Call
It may seem a little bit awkward but sometimes it works well. Follow this:
- Make a call to your phone from any other phone & answer the call.
- Don’t hang off, rather go to ‘Settings’ by tapping the home button, or from the notification bar.
- From the settings menu, navigate to ‘Security’ settings & disable the pattern lock feature as you have enabled it before.
If unluckily you can’t succeed through this process too, then don’t worry follow the next methods.
3. Unlock using ADB shell
This is a techy process but any average person will be able to do that. But if you think you are not capable of doing it then don’t do this without any professional assistance. For this method, you will need a USB cable & a computer (Windows based) with data/ WI-FI connection.
- Download the ‘Android SDK’ from this link – http://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html on your PC.
- Now, Install it on your PC like other Software, it will be better if you install it in the default directory as it shows
- Connect your smartphone with the help of USB cable to the PC. It will be better if USB debug mode is enabled on your phone. But it is not compulsory
- Install the required USB driver for your smartphone on PC. You can search the internet for the specific driver of your smartphone
Open the command prompt (cmd) in Windows. To open cmd follow the steps below.
- Click on ‘Start’,
- On the search box, type cmd. And you will get cmd.exe
- Right click on cmd.exe and click on ‘Run as administrator’
- A pop up will prompt, click ‘Yes’ and proceed
And if you want shortcut method to open cmd.exe. Then do as follows.
- Press Windows+R on keyboard. A blank box will appear
- Type cmd there and click on ‘Ok’. You will be taken to cmd.exe
Now you have to change the directory to android sdk on cmd.exe. To do that, type this on cmd
cd “C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools”
Note: – If you have installed android SDK on other directory than the one given above (i.e. Local Disk C). Then, type that one instead of the given one. After doing this heed to the next step.
Do as follows:
Either you can type the following commands in cmd, or you can directly copy and paste them in cmd. And press enter.
update system set value=0 where name=’lock_pattern_autolock’;
update secure set value=0 where name=’lock_pattern_autolock’; (for some devices update “system” is enough but for some have to update “secure” too)
update system set value=0 where name=’lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently’;
update secure set value=0 where name=’lockscreen.lockedoutpermanently’;
Now your device should be unlocked. If not do this step too, type following:
adb shell rm /data/system/gesture.key
After applying the given commands, reboot your device now (usually it will reboot itself). After reboot, you will notice ‘’Lock pattern screen’’, but then you will have the chance to create a new pattern for your device either you will have an unlocked lockscreen.
Don’t worry if this method does not work like the others. Because we will discuss another process below. And it should save you from this annoying situation.
4. Factory Reset Your Device
So, you have tried many methods till now but you couldn’t escape from the droopy situation. Here comes the effective & the most relevant process of all. But, there is a limitation of this process. And that is, this’ll erase all data from your phone including your apps, contacts, messages and so on. But you know that ‘No Pain, No Gain’, as it is the last way left for you to get access to your phone, you just have to try it. And surely you will be able to escape from the awkward situation through this process.
Here’s what to do:
- Switch–Off your smartphone by removing the battery from the back of your device. Or by pressing the power button
- After that, you have to enter into the recovery mode for resetting your device to factory settings.
- You have to press multiple keys simultaneously to enter into the system recovery mode. Press and hold the ‘Volume Up/Down + Power Button + HOME button’, to Turn-On your device.
- Keep holding the key combination unless you see the ‘Android System Recovery Menu’ or feel vibration in your Hand.
Note: Depending on your smartphone, you might have different ‘’key combination’’ to enter into the Android system recovery mode. You should search the WEB to know the key combination for your Device.
- At the system recovery mode, you won’t be able to use your Phone’s Touch Pad but the Keys. So, you should use your Volume Up/down keys of your phone to navigate through options. And can use the Home or Power button, to select
- Now navigate through the options using the volume keys & select ‘’wipe data/factory reset’’ by your Home/power button & confirm by selecting the option ‘Yes for all users’’. Then wait till the phone Wipe all the data itself.
- Once it’s done, go back to the main system recovery menu by taping on the back/home button, & select ‘’Reboot system now’’ option to reboot your device.
After rebooting you will find a brand new Phone where there will be no Pattern lock as well as any Previous Data. Now, just set up the phone.
That’s all you need to know about Unlocking your Phone after too many Pattern attempts. We have tried to provide you with all the methods in detail & as simple as possible. Some methods are very easy but work less, on the other hand some are difficult but works like charm. Now, it’s your time to try those methods yourself.