The waiting is over, Asus ZenFone 2 ZE551ML finally receives Android 6.0 Marshmallow. Asus originally plans to update ZenFone 2 to Marshmallow before the end of Q2 2016, but the deadline was not meet.
ASUS decided to update the ZenFone Zoom and ZenFone Selfie, which is based on ZenFone 2, to Android 6.0 Marshmallow almost 2 months before the base phone gets the same update. However, these 2 phones (Zoom and Selfie) didn’t also meet their self-imposed deadline but not as much longer than ZenFone 2.
ZenFone 2 owners will love the new features such as Doze mode, smarter text selection, granular app permissions, and — hopefully — flex storage. However, with this update, more than 20 bundled apps will be removed but there are few which are added. According to the official Zentalk Forum, these were the release notes. The apps listed below will be removed and some are added:
- Software update to Android 6.0 Mashmallow. Internal storage will decrease slightly after update, it is recommended back up data and relocate media files (pictures & vides) to SD card to reserve enough storage before starting the software update.
- Android Marshmallow won’t support APP2SD. Please move apps to internal storage before system upgrades.
- Multi-user function won’t be supported if the account is deleted. Please keep your account to continue usage.
- This update will remove ASUS Email, ASUS Calendar, ASUS Messaging, ASUS Browser and ASUS Music and won’t be preloaded in this software version. You can use GMail, Google Calendar, Google Messenger, Google Chrome and Google Play Music for relevant services.
The apps listed below will no longer be pre-loaded once your device has been upgraded to Android 6.0 (Marshmallow). Thanks for your support.
- ASUS Backup
- Data Transfer
- Dr. Eye (TW SKU)
- Jawbone UP
- EZTABLE (TW SKU)
- Google Play Books
- Google Play Games
- Google Play Newsstand
- Party Link
- PC Link
- Photo Frame
- Remote Link
- What’s Next
- Yahoo Shopping (TW SKU)
- ZenFlash (Can be downloaded from Google play)
- Asus Game center
Add new features and new apps:
- Google Calendar
- Google Messenger
- Facebook messenger
Some reports said that some users are unable to receive the update over the air. However, you can update your ZenFone 2 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow manually by downloading this update.
To update your device, simply copy the downloaded file to your internal memory, and rename it to UL-Z00A-WW-184.108.40.206-user.zip and wait for the system update notification to show.
Enjoy your new Asus ZenFone 2 with Android 6.0 Marshmallow OS.
Featured image credits to Zentalk Forums